Wednesday 25 April 2012

Still waiting for the Glanvilles.

The weather over the last week or so has been very changeable on the Isle of Wight.Although there have been sunny spells we have had a lot of rain and wind recently.This must be detrimental to the early appearance of the Glanville Fritillary and a visit yesterday to Wheelers Bay,Ventnor in search of the butterfly on the wing was unsuccessful.However I did notice that their caterpillars were on the move.Here at Wheelers Bay many Glanville chrysalides are found under the chalk boulders and stones at the base of the cliff.
Earlier on Bonchurch Down I came upon a male Wall and a Small Heath.The latter is my first sighting this year of this species. It was always one step ahead of me a good photograph proved too difficult to achieve on this occasion





1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Ive just found your wonderful blog. Im Dave from sandown (IOW Birder on blogger!)
    Last year I started an interest in butterflies, and I am very much a novice, with only a few sightings under my belt, but I am keen to learn, especially interested in your blog, as I can visit the same locations that you do! Hoping to learn much more. Lovely pics by the way!

    ReplyDelete