Friday 19 April 2013

The Isle of Wight Large Tortoiseshell

Just when I feared that  the euphoria of  the 2012 sighting at Walters Copse,Newtown of the Large Tortoiseshell was a 'flash in the pan,'today proved me wrong as after several visits to the copse I came across what I had  hoped for.
The spring weather had today arrived for the first time since the middle of January when at Wheelers Bay  three Painted Ladies were seen.The prolonged sunny spells had brought out several Brimstone butterflies together with Commas and Peacocks and after some time wandering around I came across a Large Tortoiseshell enjoying a sunny spot.It certainly showed signs of a long winters hibernation but it still looked wonderful to me.I was able to get close views of this iconic butterfly and can say that I consider it to be a local overwintering specimen.Let us hope for more sightings in the next few days.





No comments:

Post a Comment